Keep an Eye out for These Signs of Faulty Electrical Work

Scorched outletOne of the most critical components of a property inspection is the electrical inspection. If the wiring in a property is outdated, in need of repair, or was poorly installed or maintained, it could cause serious problems for the property owner. Electrical fires result in loss of property and loss of life every year, and as such it’s important to make sure your property is protected from this type of damage.

Fortunately, paying attention and using your common sense can often alert you to potential electrical problems. If you become aware of a possible electrical problem, you should never try to fix it yourself. Always hire a licensed electrical professional to handle any repairs or upgrades to your system.

Signs of Possible Electrical Problems

Frequent Circuit Trips

If you notice that a circuit breaker is regularly tripping, it could be a sign that the circuit is overloaded or improperly wired.

Lights that Flicker, Dim, or Buzz

If your lights dim when you run energy-intensive appliances, you could have a problem. Similarly, if a light is flickering, there could be some faulty wiring or a loose connection in the fixture. Lamps or other fixtures that buzz are also indicative of a bad wiring job.

Outlets or Switches That are Hot

If you ever notice that an electrical outlet or switch is warm or hot to the touch, you should turn off that circuit and have it checked at once. This is a sign of a serious wiring issue which could lead to a fire.

Faulty or Improper Outlets in Kitchens and Baths

Ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) are required by code in both bathrooms and kitchens. If these outlets are tripping often or missing altogether, it is time to call an electrician.

Evidence of Scorching or Burning

If you see evidence of discoloration or scorch marks on walls and outlets, or if you detect the odor of burning plastic or vinyl, there’s a good chance you have a wiring problem on your hands that constitutes a fire hazard. Using your sense of smell and trusting your instincts can help you avoid a dangerous fire.

Chewed or Frayed Wires

Damaged wiring is an accident waiting to happen. If you notice any wires that appear frayed or chewed, you should contact an electrical professional immediately.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.